Wednesday, February 22, 2006

As seen on Wesleyblog.com

This was posted today in responce to his post, "BW3 and the ESV."
Translations are fine, but when are we going to finally admit that the version of the book we are reading is not nearly as important as the Spirit which is in us to help us rightly divide that same book. I am tired of this debate going on and on are we going to end up like the Muslims in order to solve this debate (you can only read the text in Aribic to be right). Or, can we finally all agree that the same Spirit that was present during the writing of this book is also present in us today to bring us to Christ! I am sorry, but this debate brings little to no clarity to how the Body of Christ moves forward. The point is not which one you read, or even (heaven forbid) why you read it (after all his word will not return void) it's that you read it and you are guided by the Spirit to begin to see, love, charish, and minister to GOD AND ALL OF HIS CREATION!!! May we finally begin to put the Spirit of God above our pety flesh choices (I am sorry I have always considered myself to be level-headed in this regard, but even in my church this brings up debate which leads nowhere).I love and pray for you all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know where you are coming from, but there is a little bit of danger in what you are saying. Yes, the Holy Spirit is involved in helping you apply scripture to your life. I don't believe the Holy Spirit interprets the scripture for you. There is a difference between application and interpretation. I think that each passage of scripture has ONE true meaning, but a MULTITUDE of applications.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Holy Spirit does have an important role in applying the meaning of scripture to our lives. The scripture, however, is it's own interpreter. It means what it says. In scripture, there are nouns and verbs, just like in any other book (even though other books are not inspired). The Holy Spirit does not tell us what these nouns and verbs mean. The Holy Spirit does not tell me that Jesus died on a cross to atone for my sins. The words in the scripture tell of this. The Holy Spirit can then take what is read and convict of sin and allow us accept the free offer of God's grace.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home