Saturday, July 22, 2006

Discipling a Discipler

So I have found that though I knew that I was called into the ministry of Discipleship, I was not fully ready to be a Discipler. I have grown tremendously in the last week or so. I now understand that my own Discipleship was not at a level which would allow me to Disciple others. Though this may seem like a disheartening discovery, it has actually been very freeing. I have been able to work on my personal spiritual discipline and it has been more than rewarding. As I have been striving towards that disciplined life that a Disciple must have it has opened me to begin to see just how I am to bring my church into the heart of the life of a Disciple. For instance, I am an extreme extrovert, so I have said many times in the past that God made me this way so I should not feel guilty for not being able to do the introverted things (like personal scripture reading, for my growth not for sermons or bible studies). So, when I began to force myself to read scripture for my soul, I began to feel the spiritual life return to my bones. I began to see myself feeling more charged and ready to do the things that I typically love to do. Not only that, but I have also begun to realize that Discipleship is not something that can be forced on anyone. Discipleship is a choice, a necessary choice, but a choice none the less. Even Wesley who required weekly Discipleship in order to be apart of corporate worship did not force the people to do it, he just held them accountable for their decision when they made it (even to the point of sending them out of the group when they no longer were willing to keep their commitments to Discipleship).

So, what does all this discovery mean to my ministry?

Well...
I am not quite sure of the total ramifications, but I know that I now must encourage (strongly encourage) my people to choose a life of Discipleship. One in which they are praying as they should, reading scripture as the could, loving other as they wish others would love them, and telling others of their wondrous freedom in Christ. I think to make this happen, they must make a firm decision of what their personal goals are and have others to hold them accountable to THEIR goals. It is not simple enough to give them a goal (for some will never accept a forced goal), or to let them select their own goals (for many will faultier in their own goals when they are kept to themselves). No, we must choose our own level of commitment in which though attainable is still a challenge and then choose others to help spur us on to meeting those goals.

God is so wonderful... I am finally feeling as though I have stepped into the perfect will of the Father for my live and it is exhilarating.

Pray for me and my church as we journey towards an intentional life of Discipleship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home